Portland Stage Company, Maine’s largest fully professional, non-profit theater, is committed to providing the finest productions for audiences in a broad region of Northern New England. Founded in 1974 as the Profile Theater, Portland Stage Company currently produces:
- Mainstage Productions: A season of seven shows that play to over 50,000 people annually.
- Studio Series Productions: A series of new and experimental work in our 70-seat Studio Theater.
- New Work Programs: From Away, Little Festival of the Unexpected, and the Clauder Competition.
- Education Programs: PlayNotes, Pre- and Post-show discussions,In-school workshops, and the Young Writers Project.
- Affiliate Artists Programs: Longfellow’s Shorts and invited readings.
This variety in programming is designed to meet the needs of a broad cross-section of our population.
In producing this work, Portland Stage auditions both locally and in New York, and then brings the artists – actors, director, designers, and technicians – together in Portland to rehearse the show. Each production is created specifically for our audiences.
As a member of the League of Resident Theatres (LORT), Portland Stage is committed to using actors who are members of Actors’ Equity, the professional actors union. Having a relationship with Equity is more than a commitment to hiring professional actors… it is one of the steps that Portland Stage takes to ensure the highest quality theater experience possible for artists as well as audience members.
Portland Stage plays a pivotal role in the life of our community by providing the experience of theater for our audience and by making that experience one which enlightens and adds insight into our world.